Testing in Portland Square

I finally figured out how to turn the Intelix Mixer on and get sound output. With all my fancy Max MSP work my main stumbling block so far has been finding the on switch on the speaker system…. PATHETIC! Here are two tester videos. I was unexpectedly joined by two people who heard it from … Continue reading

My Max MSP patch

This is a spliced screenshot of the top level patch in a functioning state. i can neaten a few things up that are just in there for calibration and experimentation, but there is nothing to be added to this. (click to full view it) Boy am I glad that this works!

Finding the resolution balance

With most types of video I have worked with, the best possible input is that at the highest resolution. With motion tracking though I’ve found, through practice, that highest res does not give the best results. Taking a live feed from Atrium A in Portland Square at 3 different resolutions, but the same motion settings, … Continue reading

Motion tracking – Atrium A

Since posting my experiment with the webcam I’ve managed to get the camera in Atrium A cleaned so I can get good readings off of it. I’ve tweaked my patch slightly and found some good settings for that particular room. I did this by recording footage of myself walking around, and then running motion tracking … Continue reading

Motion Tracking – experiment

I’ve got myself quite settled with the sound-distribution side of my patch and have been trying to figure out the motion tracking aspect now. A quick mishmash of cv.jit objects in Max MSP with my webcam has got me quite excited. I’ve really been dreading motion tracking, but there are some brilliant resources for Max … Continue reading

Multiple Sounds!

I’ve been working for a while on getting the sound-distribution part of my patch to play multiple sounds in the space, with independent control over the location of each. It’s not something I’ve been struggling with technically – Converting my 1-sound patch to multi is easy enough to do, but I’ve been reworking the way … Continue reading

Report – Done

My report is finished and available on Issuu and also zipped with the video and a readme on Rapidshare. Issuu: http://issuu.com/orrinward/docs/orrin_idat306 Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/378301045/orrin_ward_IDAT306_10062098.zip Final Video on Youtube:


After numerous setbacks with rendering, here is my final video. Generally I’m quite pleased with it. The end structure is more interesting than the current layout of Pin Lane. It seems as though a fork has formed in the centre, with the Barbican end opening up more and the top half of the lane bending … Continue reading

Pushing it a bit

I’ve been struggling with my computer for the last few days trying to get the video to render properly. One slight change from my settings ended up reducing the render time from 26 hours to… 38 minutes. It is ridiculous what one codec change can do. I really should have done my film rendering earlier … Continue reading

The Rules!

To get a partially automated renegotiation of Pin Lane I have to set up manual algorithms for myself to follow when I manually animate the 3D. If I were to just move things about roughly by eye, it takes control of the space away from the people who have been through Pin Lane. After collecting … Continue reading